Sunday, September 16, 2007

Ambushed!

We starting teaching our elementary school classes, and they were kind of crazy and oh-my-gosh kids have lots of energy. We sang “Little Bunny Foo Foo” and some games and oh my, it was nutso tiring and involved lots of shouting and trying to get kids’ attention, and then! And then! We had a sneak-attack totally unexpected banquet! For lunch! So now it is 2:30 in the afternoon and I am inebriated! Sigh.

We ate lots of food with a bunch of people from the school, mostly Chinese teachers. One, Zhang-laoshi, was particularly friendly (also particularly drunk; Mr. Ren poured him a gigantic ridiculous class of Fen Jiu (which is brewed right here in Fenyang and ranges from super-strong to tolerable) and he drank it all); he lives across the way from us and talked to us a bunch about how we are all good friends now. It was pretty crazy; I’m glad none of us are boys, or we would have been required to drink more to prove our manhood (there was one teacher who came to visit our table, and Mr. Ren explained that he was a man, not a woman, and that true men had to drink Fen Jiu), and I think we’ve proved our manhood enough for one day as it is. Anyway. The banquet was fun and full of friendly folks, but I am glad that we don’t have to teach class anymore today or anything, ‘cause I don’t think I’m competent to teach class right now.

No comments: